Skip to main content

Six Hands and Six Feet Belong to......


Welcome to my blog of six hands and six feet. You've probably guessed it, these six hands and six feet are made up of three unique people. My two amazing sons and myself. My family. This post is a, sort of, introduction to our life.

 My reason for starting this blog was the stigma attached to the single mum, the disgusted glances, the crazy questions and the presumption that you've birthed these children just for the money. Some of my all time favourite remarks have to be; "Do you know who the father is?" and "Find yourself a daddy for the next one." Don't get me wrong, I've had my compliments as well, telling me I'm doing a great job, but they come with the head tilt of pity like I'm under some hardship. People tell me it must be hard parenting solo. Honestly...I would not have a clue. It has always been this way. I've had relationships since but never had anyone take on the role of 'daddy' or move into our home. I'm not entirely sure how I would handle a man about the house now. I enjoy my control of the TV remote. I feel entirely blessed to have these beautiful boys and would not wish anyone to waste their time feeling sorry for me, I most definitely do not feel sorry for myself...well not about the boys anyway. Sometimes, when I get caught in the rain and my hair explodes, I've been known to sulk. Curly girl problems.

So to introduce the boys...

 They are aged 10 and 6. I'll be blunt, they both have different dads. Is this a problem? Probably for reasons that aren't always obvious.

Nathan is the older of the two. He is very strong willed and stubborn.... (wonder where he gets it from!?) He loves typical boy toys like his PS4 and gadgets and fiercely protective of his little brother and myself. Jack has just turned 6, his life currently revolves around Nerf guns and make believe fantasy play. Despite his love for Nerf toys, he is the sweetest and most caring little boy I have ever met and I'm so lucky he is mine.

 Nathan has never had contact with his father and only seen him a couple of times through chance, he is aware of who he is and what he looks like. His dad is mixed race, Brazilian and Irish. Jacks dad is white British with ginger hair. However, amazingly both the boys have olive skin and light brown hair. People often comment how alike they look. I, myself do not see it, but I think that's a mum thing. We know all the differences in our children down to the last freckle. In fact, Nathan has three freckles on his back in the shape of a triangle. Jack see's his dad on a Sunday between 9am and 7pm. People roll their eyes as if to say is that the only help you get, but I miss him like crazy when he is gone. Nathan is currently enjoying advising everyone and anyone when they say they look a like or how cute they are, that his dad is black and Jacks dad is white and how strange it is they think they are similar. This is always followed by a period of uncomfortable silence or nervous smiling and nodding while I giggle to myself.

On to myself, I know these are brief introductions, but you have to start somewhere. My name is Janine (rubbish name I know) The boring old spinsters are always called Janine on TV or the dodgy one from Eastenders, I fell pregnant with Nathan when I was 19 years old, so I've been a mum for practically me entire adult life. During this time, I have had various jobs, periods of unemployment and I am now at the University studying a bachelors degree in Education with the hopes of going into primary teaching. I have just passed my first year. The rest of my time is spent being a mum/sister/daughter/auntie and friend.

I think I will end each of my posts on an amusing quote/conversation from my children in the hopes it makes you smile.

So, Nathan has been doing Sex Education at school through the reproduction of the red footed turtle. He decides on a busy bus to start discussing what he has learnt. Very loudly he then asks, "Mummy, what is semen?" People around us are starting to giggle, I said to him, "What did Mrs Jones (Nathans teacher) say it was?" He replied, "She said you needed semen and an egg for reproduction." I told him that was correct and feeling grateful I did not have to divulge on a bus full of people exactly what semen was, but then he announces at the top of his voice, laughing, clearly not understanding what he was saying himself the following..."Well...my analysis of the lesson was that pimples is both a male and female word, thrust is a male word and moist is a female word." It was one of those moments you want the ground to swallow you up and wonder how exactly your ten year old child has heard this content to repeat it on a bus full of people. These embarrassing moments happen fairly often with my boys.....you'll soon see.

Follow me on twitter @sixhandssixfeet

TTFN

Jx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birds and the Bees...

  After the very public questioning from Nathan on the bus the other day about the meaning of ‘semen’ following his lesson on reproduction at school, today he announces ‘Mummy, did you know sometimes girls kiss boy’s willies, why would they do that?’ Followed by ‘Is it true men stick willies up peoples’ bums?’, I began to think it was time for the talk. For those of you who have not read my previous posts, Nathan is 10 years old… almost 11 so I feel I’ve done well so far to avoid these types of questions. He has still never questioned me on the existence of Father Christmas which in the order of child development, I’m sure would have come first.   I was slightly wary of this talk, I was given the job of telling my little brother about the birds and the bees when he was in year 6. He wound up being gay, I’m sure I told him right. In fact, I’m positive I told him what went in what hole. I even drew him diagrams to show him what went where as he was in shock. He is not so innocent

Show #Jack Love... We Need Your Help!!

  As I am sure many of you know, it’s been a tough time for England over the last couple of months. We as a country have seen things we never wanted too. Our children of the UK were targeted at Ariana Grande's 'Dangerous Woman' concert at Manchester Arena. Sadly, we lost 22 lives, one little 8-year-old child from our town. Then again in London, we faced further terrorist attacks on London Bridge and Borough Market. This attack did not just affect the United Kingdom, but citizens from all over the world lost their lives. After all, we are a multi-cultural country where everyone is an individual. Where we welcome all to live peacefully amongst us. Thank fully the majority are just that, peaceful and kind.  The nature of our country shone through when we were stuck with further disaster, L ondon faced the towering inferno of Grenfell Tower which was truly heart-breaking and the death toll is still rising. The country is pulling together once again to support these victim

A few of #jack love piccies, he loves them! Keep them coming!